With what items are you the most frugal?
I think we all have weak spots when it comes to spending money.
Mrs. Stew really, really likes bargains – she just cannot turn down a 30% off clearance item – even when the kids do not need that new shirt. Mrs. Stew is also a coffee lover, unfortunately, coffee aficionado is not a cheap hobby. Don’t get me wrong, overall, Mrs. Stew is a good money manager, but we all have an Achilles heel, don’t we?
My biggest weak spot is fast food. For me, the pull of the fast food lane is as strong as the next cigarette break for a nicotine fiend. I know it is wrong, for so many reasons, but . . . but . . . just . . . can’t . . . stop. I also have a weakness for electronics. Thankfully, I am not a Macophile or an Applehead, there is no way that I could afford that level of technology. iPods and iPhones and iPads are not my thing. However, I was the first person in my family to have a cell phone and now I cannot imagine life without my Blackberry. I am glad that both my day job and my night job require a “crackberry”. I am not always cutting edge with the computers that I buy, but I pour longingly over marketing e-mails from TigerDirect every day. There have been many times when I have gone all through the site, made my selections and even entered my credit card information and only pulled out and canceled the purchase at the last minute. If you try to sell me a hamburger or a flip video player, there is a strong possibility that you will be successful.
I am fighting my addictions. I find it easy to list my frugal weaknesses and I could probably come up with a few more if I tried.
Today, I am trying to think of areas where I am the most frugal. Here is my list:
- Alcohol: Mrs. Stew and I spend next to nothing on beer or wine.
- Soap and shampoo: You really do not need as much as you might think. I am not unsanitary, but I experiment with doing the job with as little soap as possible.
- Underwear: Mrs. Stew is always on me to buy a few new pair. I could say more, but I will stop here.
- Coffee: I am more than satisfied with cheap coffee. The only time I buy expensive stuff is when I am under the influence of Mrs. Stew.
- Shoes: I spend a little on my shoes, but I make them last a long time. Last weekend I wore a pair of sneakers that I purchased in 2001. I also have a pair of Nike running shoes that I have worn for two years after buying them for $6 at a second-hand store.
What areas are you the most frugal?
Article by Stew
Photo by TheTruthAbout
- When to replace items on your car
- Money Saving Monday Tip #8 – Buy Items At the Right Time
- Why be frugal?
- Sorta Frugal