Why I bought a Mac instead of a PC
I wrote an article a few weeks back asking you for input on an Apple vs. a PC. First off, thanks for all the input, you all gave me a great deal to think about and consider. I ended up buying an Apple Macbook Pro 15″. It was really a tough decision, especially given the price difference, but here’s why I ended up going with the Mac:
- I’m tired of Windows – I’ve been using Microsoft windows since it’s very first release (Windows 286 for anyone that remembers that far back). Windows was a great OS for the PC, and really had a significant impact on it’s overall success. Overtime though, Windows has become a burden. It’s buggy, slow, bloated and the target of far too many viruses and hackers. It seems I get some patch almost weekly. Personally, I think I just needed a change.
- I need the experience – As an IT Professional full-time, and website developer part-time I personally felt like I needed some Macintosh experience. I’ve been working on computers for 27 years, and just barely have any experience with Apple products. I decided it was time to change that.
- I want to support Apple – I love Apple as a company. I think they are innovative and highly focused on the end user. From what I understand, they’re products just work. I want to support a company with products like that. Maybe if more people purchased Apple products, the cost would come down.
- Great Software – The Mac comes bundled with great software in the form of iLife. It also runs an incredible amount of really slick software that isn’t available on the PC. Particular applications I’m interested in are: Coda editor, Evernote for Mac, and Things. The OS is also frankly a work of art. OS/X is one of the slickest looking pieces of software I have ever seen.
- Longevity - I’ve consistently read that Apple products, and the Macbooks in particular have a longer life than PC based products. So even though you pay more upfront, overtime the cost works out. Not sure if I fully believe this, but just based on the quality of the machine from what I can tell, I’m beginning to buy it. The hardware quality on the Macbook is amazing. I am willing to pay more for something if it’s better.
- Seamless – Since Macs are made only by Apple, and much of the software is from Apple the user experience is seamless. My Dad once said that he wants a computer to be much like a TV, you just turn it on and it works. Apple products are as close as anything gets to this concept. They just work.
- Coolness – I’ll be honest, the other reason I bought a Mac is that they are just incredibly cool. I’m a computer guy and have a passion for computers. I wanted something cool. The Mac is coolness at it’s best.
Have a Mac? Why did you buy it? What do you guys think of my decision? I have lots of articles planned about it and I’ll keep you posted on whether I think it was worth the money or not. I’ll post about my experiences over on my Empty Cabin Media blog. Right now though…I’m loving it! Now where is the Start button??? lol
Photo by: neoPhillipw