I think my wife is going to work outside the home this year
Neither I, nor my wife are all that excited about her taking a full-time job this fall, but she is going to do it anyway. There are a thousand reasons for her to take the job that she has been offered – and a thousand reason for her not to take the job.
- The job will increase our household income by almost forty percent.
- The job will allow us to maximize our 401K employer match.
- The job will provide free private school education for our children.
- If she does not take the job, we would have to homeschool.
- The job will allow us to start to accumulate an emergency fund.
- The job will allow us to replace some household items that we have been “nursing” along for several months.
- The job provides a significant opportunity to pay down our remaining debt – car loan and college loans primarily.
- Our two and a half year old will have to go to preschool – the same one in which my wife is working . . . but still.
- The job is a full year commitment with only five days of vacation beyond the national holidays. That’s tough.
- My job is not “9 to 5″ – lots of odd hours, weekends, etc.
- I am going to have to do a lot more around the house. A lot.
- We are going to have to get the two-year old potty-trained by September and I don’t think he is ready.
- Our children will have to spend their summers in day camp or day care.
- We will have to purchase a second car and my wife will need to purchase “business” clothes.
- My wife will not have time to be the mother that she wants to be.
I feel like we are being forced into this decision simply because it makes good financial sense. I’m not sure that money should be the only reason to make a decision like this, but I’m not sure we have a choice right now. My wife and I would really like her to be a stay-at-home mother and wife.
I guess we can survive anything for a year.
From Glblguy: Readers, what are your thoughts? Have any of you had to make a similar decision? How did it turn out? Any regrets? Add a comment!
Photo by cambodia4kidsorg