Help Your Local Church
This is a guest post from the blogger behind Studenomics a personal finance blog that offers common sense advice for college students and recent graduates. Studenomics is the ultimate resource for young people looking for advice on how to survive this current recession, grow their careers, manage their finances, and still be able to enjoy the weekends.
How many times in the last 8 months have you used the excuse, “I would attend church today if I didn’t have so much homework.” Well guess what? You can longer use this excuse for not attending church since college is out for the summer. I’m realistic and I know many college students won’t read the Bible daily or attend church services regularly, but there are many ways you could help your local church.
- Volunteer at your church. If you find that you can’t sit through a one hour service then you could try providing your services to the church for free. There is so much going on at every church that any help is greatly appreciated. I have helped out in the past by serving food and offering my time to do some yard maintenance work (what can I say I enjoy cutting grass). The point here is that an hour may be nothing to you but it would be really beneficial to your church.
- Work as a church camp counselor. Not only is this an excellent opportunity to meet some great people but you also have the privilege of giving back to your community. We were all little kids at one point and I’m sure we were sent to some of the free camps offered by our local churches. This is your chance to return the favor and do some good for your community. Even if you help out once a week it will make at least a small difference in someone’s life.
- Pilgrimage. Yes they actually exist in real life. In fact my cousin goes on a pilgrimage every summer. I have always personally wanted to try this but it is impossible for me to get the time off from work that time of year. It’s approximately 2 weeks in duration and they walk about 6 hours a day for those 2 weeks until they arrive at their destination.
We all want to have a productive summer but we just don’t know where to start. Here’s a little secret: you can start by reading The Summer of George- The Most Productive Summer a College Student Will Ever Have:
- Summer of George Introduction @ Studenomics.com
- Work Abroad This Summer @ CashMoneyLife.com
- Enjoy Cheap Summer Activities @ MoneySmartLife.com
- Learn a New Language @ TotalCandor.com
- Take Up a Sport and Become Good At It @ FreeFromBroke.com
- Help Your Local Church @ GatherLittleByLittle.com
- Take Some College Courses This Summer @ PoorerThanYou.com
- Summer Jobs With Little Startup Funding Required- Part 1 @ MoneyNing.com
- Summer Jobs With Little Startup Funding Required- Part 2 @ PTMoney.com
- Take Control Of Your Financial Situation @ Bargaineering.com