The Friday gathering – White coat syndrome?
Last week ago I went to the hand surgeon for a follow up on my broken finger. As part of the visit they check my weight, temperature and blood pressure. My blood pressure was little high, 142 over 105. The lower number was their concern. For those that may not be familiar, 120 over 80 is ideal.
This isn’t the first time this has happened, each time time I visit the doctor my blood pressure is a little high. Doctors call this white coat syndrome. To be honest, visiting the doctor doesn’t bother me in the least bit. I don’t feel nervous or anxious, but for some reason my blood pressure seems to be high.
This same situation happened a few years back, so I purchased a blood pressure meter for use at home so I could keep an eye on my blood pressure when not at the doctors office. I pulled it out once again and began testing my blood pressure. Perfectly normal at home as I expected. While not the ideal 120 over 80, my average at this point is 139 over 86. Not bad considering I really don’t exercise like I should and I’m almost 40.
What I have seen and will be interested to see over the next couple of weeks is that my blood pressure on the weekends is much lower than during the week. Over this past weekend, by blood pressure averaged 127 over 83, but during the week, the average was 146 over 88. Hmmmm, what’s different??? Work.
The only difference is that during the week I work my full-time job, and on the weekends I don’t. Logical conclusion is stress. One weekend certainly isn’t even close to any type of scientific proof, so I’ll be interested to see if the trend continues. I’ll keep you posted.
Lots of important stuff to mention this week:
- March Madness – Free Money Finance is running the March Madness personal finance “tournament” where articles from personal finance bloggers compete against each other. I submitted my article: Do you appreciate what you have? I’d appreciate it if you head over to Round 1, Game 3 and vote for my article by commenting with “Appreciate”.
- Nuru Personal Finance Cards Giveaway – I recently reviewed a set of personal finance cards from Nuru and am giving them away. So head over and add a comment to be entered. You have until February 1st.
- 0% Percent Balance Transfer Credit Card Deals – Thanks to your positive feedback on the idea, I’ve added a Zero Percent Balance Transfers Credit Cards page to Gather Little by Little. If you are currently paying interest on credit card debt, I would strongly recommend you transfer your balance to one of these cards. I did recently and have been very happy with the decision.
- Ask the M-Network – Just a reminder that the Ask the M-Network feature is still available. Have a personal finance question you’ve been wanting to ask? Contact me and I’ll post it where you can get not only my input, but input from all of the other M-Network bloggers.
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Handling Finances in Today’s Economy @ Green Panda Treehouse
- Do It Yourself Debt Consolidation @ Moolanomy
- Frugal People Focus Too Much On The Outgo @ Frugal Dad
- A Budget Provides Freedom @ Being Frugal
- Bargaineering Name Change & New Forums! @ Bargaineering
- Freecycle: When You Can’t Sell It”¦or Afford It @ Mrs Micah
- Keeping up with the Jones | Video @ ChristianPF – Hilarious and oh so true.
- Ask M-Network: Move Retirement Account Or Stay Where I Am?@ My Two Dollars
- Stupid Tax: Frozen and Burst Water Pipes @ Borrow from None
- A National Shift Toward Frugal Living? @ Cash Money Life
- Rates Are Low. Is It Time To Refinance? Our Refinance Story @ Bible Money Matters
- TradeKing Review
Photo by: Waldo Jaquith