The Friday Gathering for 9/4/2008
Ever take on a little too much? I seem to have done so over the past few months. The problem is I have all of these ideas and things I want to do, but not enough time to do them, at least not without sacrificing things that are more important to me.
I write here on Gather Little by Little which is my primary blog. I’ve committed to myself that regardless of what I have going on or sign up to do that this blog will take priority over any other projects I have going on. I also write on my saltwater aquarium blog when I get time, which isn’t near as often as I would like. I run 2 niche affiliate marking sites (no, I won’t share what those are), and have 3 others that are in progress but not done yet. I have at least 5 ideas for articles to write for Blogthority and frankly been promising Pinyo I’d write for him at Blogthority for months now, but haven’t. Lynnae, Paidtwice, and I are also working on a project together and I haven’t even got beyond the thinking about it stage right now.
To make matters worse, I also agreed to do a website for a local business. This actually really excites me as I’ve been wanting to do this type of work for a while and I just haven’t found the right opportunity until now. This will become a priority for me, even if the other items above have to wait a little longer.
Add to this my normal responsibilities of being a manager at my “real job”, being an involved father to 6 kids, and a husband that tries his best to pay attention to and spend time with his wife, my schedule is pretty full. Add to that us trying to sell our home and buy another…well, you get the picture.
It’s quit frustrating really, as I have so much I’d like to do and honestly feel like I can be successful with all of them if I only had the time.
I have this sincere interest in running my own company that has a diversified income from blogs, affiliate marketing sites, web development and consulting. Mrs. Micah recently launched a similar effort and from what I hear is doing really well at it. She inspires me and motivates me.
It would seem I have two options 1) Sacrifice on things that are important to me (the large rocks as Stephen Covey puts it) or 2) Drop some things. I considered finding more time, but honestly I’m already cutting it pretty close on not getting enough sleep and I am probably guilty of not spending enough time with my family as it is. Given that, #1 just isn’t an option which leaves me with #2, drop a few things.
I think for now, I’m going to stop writing on SaltwaterBlogger.net for a while and pick it up again later when I get a few other projects out of the way. I’m also going to hold off developing the additional niche stores I have in the queue. This will cost me some revenue in the short-term, but nothing I couldn’t make up for later. I also think writing for Blogthority and working with Lynnae and Paidtwice on our little project is going to have to go on hold as well (sorry guys!).
My focus is going to have to be on Gather Little by Little and doing this new web development project I’m engaged with. That project will not only generate some short term income for me, but will also begin establishing me some credibility in the web development space.
One other option I have considered is hiring writers for the blogs I’d like to start or don’t have time to write on. Any thoughts on this? Anybody interested in writing about saltwater aquariums? I don’t even have a clue of how much to pay and whether the cost per article could be recovered from the advertising and affiliate relationships.
Would really appreciate your thoughts and input on all of this. Do you see some options I haven’t considered? You experienced bloggers, any feedback on hiring writers?
Here are my favorite articles from the M-Network and other pf blogs this week:
- avoiding shopping temptation? from plonkee money
- When it Comes to Emergency Funds, Size Does Matter from Frugal Dad
- DirectTV Bait & Switch – They Change Prices Once Your System is Installed. from My Two Dollars – I’m really glad David wrote about this as I had planned to use DirectTV out our new place. Will be looking at other options now!
- Slight Misunderstanding of Marginal Tax Brackets from Blueprint for Financial Prosperity – I’ll confess, I didn’t know this either. Good thing Jim provides this great explanation.
- 20 Ways to Save Time and Money in the Kitchen from Cash, Money, Life
- A Six Figure Salary And NO Investment Plans? Are You Kidding Me? from The Wisdom Journal
- A Look in the Mirror: Are You a Borrower, a Consumer, or a Keeper from Borrow from None – What are you? I’m a mixture of Consumer and Keeper, but drifting more and more towards Keeper each day.
- How to Easily Open a CD Ladder at ING Direct from Mrs. Micah – This is a great read on the CD ladder concept. I was familiar with it, but her article really simplifies and explains it well.
- A Peek into a Millionaire’s Account Structure from Million Dollar Journey – Very interesting read…now if I only had a million dollars…
- 50 Ways to Make Money Blogging from The Dough Roller – DR has an excellent and thorough article here. If you have a blog or are considering starting one, this is a must read.
- Pricing from Quest for Four Pillars – I have the problem of how much to charge right now with the website I’m building. I recently experienced a similar “pricing scam” when faxing using local business services companies. They charge you $2.50 to fax the first page, then like .70 cents for each subsequent page. What a rip-off.
Photo by: StÃ©fan