The Friday gathering – House updates edition
Failure number 2 occurred last week in our house hunting adventure. I sure hope this isn’t a sign of things to come. I know many of you have been following our progress and wanted to provide you with an update.
The first house, the foreclosure, didn’t work out as the selling agent just stopped returning our calls. I really think this was a blessing in disguise, as the more I’ve thought about the house, the worse it was.
The second home, the one in the mountains I shared with you a few weeks back is just too expensive. We offered what both myself and our agent felt was a very reasonable price and there is still a good $70,000 difference in the sellers lowest price and my highest price. Turns out the selling couple is upside down on the house and is trying to recover.
Thus our house hunting journey continues. We’ve decided to broaden our search area, as the area close to our in-laws land (the second home I mentioned above) doesn’t currently have anything for sale. We’ve decided if we can’t be within walking distance for our kids to visit them, than we would probably rather live in some nicer areas in the mountains.
This weekend we’ll be heading out to the NC mountains to do some exploring and try to pin point an area we would like to live in. Any suggestions?
Speaking of heading to the mountains, I’ve mentioned before that we drive two vehicles currently because neither of our vehicles will hold all 8 of us. We decided to rent an 8 passenger SUV for our trip this weekend. Primarily so we wouldn’t have to drive two vehicles around all over the mountains and secondly just to spend some quality time together as a family. The down side of this is that it’s costing us $315.00 to do so! Seems SUVs are expensive to rent. About $70.00 per day. I am still in a toss up as to whether or not we should buy one now or not.
Ah, decisions, decisions. Life sure can be complicated sometimes huh?
- I won the contest over at My Investing Blog. My reward? A $100 gift card. Sweet! I don’t think I’ve ever won anything in a blog contest and nothing like cold hard cash! Thanks Hank!
- Lynnae was selected by Wal-mart to join their Money Saving Community Project! She’s one of only 11 moms across the country that were selected! Make sure you head over and congratulate her and read about the details.
- Frugal Dad has a family emergency. Please keep him, his mother, and his family in your prayers.
- Mrs Micah, a fellow M-Network member, celebrated her first Blogiversary. She’s also doing a giveaway, so head over, sign-up, and congratulate her!
I again remembered to participate in a few carnivals this week:
- Value for your life hosted the Carnival of Money Stories. My article How to be rich was picked as an editor’s pick!
- Squakfox hosted the Carnival of Personal Finance: City Slickers Edition and included by article 10 least expensive to own vehicles – not one is hybrid
- Mighty Bargain Hunter hosted the carnival of cebt reduction and included my article Starting an online store
- Lisa from Greener Pastures hosted the Money Hacks Carnival and included a guest post I ran on my site Improving Your Career Prospects
- Catherine from Frugal Homemaker Plus hosted the Festival of Frugality #137. My article Money Saving Money Roundup #2 was included.
A sincere thank you to those that hosted!
There were lots of great articles this week in the M-Network and beyond. Here are just a few of my favorites!
- Slamming the brakes on spending via effective budgeting @ Saving to Invest
- How To Control Unconcious Spending @ Green Panda Treehouse (btw, you can read an interview with her here).
- Lessons from a Straight Road @ The Wisdom Journal
- Looking at Debt Repayment as an Investment @ The Simple Dollar
- Dangerous Norms: When a Treat Becomes a Routine Matter @ Get Rich Slowly
- 15 Tips for Saving Money While You Still Have a Job @ My Dollar Plan
- Don’t Pay Your Children’s College Education @ Blueprint for Financial Prosperity
- In a Short Time, $5 Can Become $100 or More @ The One Caveman
- Bottled Water? What Was I Thinking? @ Consumerism Commentary
- The Pull of the Credit Card @ Being Frugal
- Need A Mortgage? Look At An FHA Home Loan First @ Moolanomy
- Invest in Your 401k – NOW@ Single Guy Money
- Online Bill Pay – Cheaper, Faster, Greener, More Secure @ Cash Money Life
- How Do I Actually Snowflake My Savings?@ I’ve Paid Twice for this Already
- would you move for a lower cost of living? @ plonkee money
Have an awesome week!
Photo by: neal_mcquaid