The Friday Gathering – More houses Edition
The roofers should finish up installing the new roof on our current home today. It’s made a huge improvement to the look of our home. I didn’t realize how bad our roof was until I came home from work and saw the new one. Wow!
Which reminds me. We ended up hiring a painting company to repair the chimney, fix all of the rotten wood, and paint the house. I shopped around, received several bids and then selected the company I was comfortable with doing the work. I challenged their offer and practiced some negotiating tactics. I saved $1000.00 off the initial bid. Here’s the best part…the bid was low enough that we didn’t need to borrow any money! We were able to pay off the entire repair with our emergency fund!
This weekend, we’ll be traveling back up the mountains to look at some more homes. Our buyer’s broker has about 5 homes lined up for us and from the pictures we’ve seen, they are just beautiful and all have awesome mountain views. I can’t wait to see them!
Now I just pray that the timing of all of this works out or that the seller of whichever home we decide on will take a contingency contract. Another option we are also considering is just buying some land and either having a home built, or having an upscale modular home installed. Anybody familiar with the pros/cons of modular housing? I’m not referring to double wides, but to homes that actually look like stick built homes. Would appreciate any insights you may have.
- Pinyo from Moolanomy updated his blog theme to a really different but slick looking layout. Head over and check it out!
- Lynnae from Being Frugal published another video and it’s better than the first. She’s really good at the video thing! It’s even on one of my favorite hobbies, camping.
- PT from PTMoney, won a video contest with this PT Raps video. I cannot even express how awesome of a job he did on this. I think he’s a natural! I have no doubt’s he’ll win.
- I lost yet another round in the Personal Finance Challange game on Facebook. While you’re over there, friend me on Facebook! You can also become a fan of Gather Little by Little too!
- Blog Action Day has kicked off for 2008. I participated in the 2007 event, and it was a huge success and I’m sure this year will be even better. Just checking as I signed up and already more than 445 sites have registered reaching more than 1.3 million readers! If you are a blogger, head over and register for this worthy cause.
Here are my favorite article picks from this week:
- Are You Rich? @ That One Caveman
- time budgets @ Plonkee Money
- Cheapest Fuel Efficient Cars: Fit Is Go! @ Bargaineering
- SportsClips Does it Right @ Cash Money Life
- How to Live More Simply, and Why It Is So Important @ Frugal Dad
- Tightwad Tuesday: Bartering – A Lost Art@ Being Frugal
- How I Deal With My Financial Fears @ The Simple Dollar
- Home Gardening: What, How, And When To Plant In Your Growing Region. @ My Two Dollars
- You can’t take it with you @ ChristianP
- 10 Tips For College Bound Students @ Moolanomy
- 10 Home Maintenance Tasks You Typically Put Off or Ignore @ The Wisdom Journal