The Friday Gathering – Life change edition
We went on vacation a few weeks ago to the North Carolina mountains. It was a very frugal vacation in that we camped on our in-laws land and really didn’t go anywhere nor did we spend much money. My wife and I have been visiting the mountains of North Carolina since before we were married. I fell in love with them the first time I visited Biltmore house and then my wife and I have some very fond memories of hiking in Chimney Rock park when we were first married.
We’ve often talked about moving to the mountains, but due to the type of work I do there just weren’t any decent jobs for me. That changed recently as my employer is becoming more open to people working remotely. I thought I would push the limits a bit and just see what would happen if I asked about working remote. I was surprised with an answer of “Yes”.
My wife and I decided to move quickly so we wouldn’t talk ourselves out of it and thus began our journey to what we expect will be a life changing move. See we aren’t just moving to the mountains, but looking for something close to where our in-laws land is. That land is in a fairly remote area of the mountains. To give you some perspective, it’s about 20 minutes to the nearest interstate, 30 minutes to the nearest town and 15 minutes to the nearest gas station/store.
Besides living in an area that we have grown to love, moving is going to save us a considerable amount of money. Here’s how:
- Significantly cheaper land. Land runs around $8,000 – 15,000 per acre in the area we are looking
- Property taxes are 1/4 the cost we currently pay
- With town being so far away, it won’t be so easy to quickly head to the store to pick something up.
- We’ll have plenty of land to make a rather large garden.
- Overall cost of living in the area is significantly less expensive
These are just a few of the things that will help reduce our overall expenses, not to mention we are looking to downsize our home as well to cut back on our mortgage, utility expenses, etc.
Earlier this week we put our current house up for sale and have spent the week doing two things: 1) Moving all of the “clutter” and our personal items into storage to make the home show better and 2) Repairing various items on our house and having contractor provide estimates on repairing our chimney and painting the house. Surprisingly, these items have come in far less costly than I expected.
We’ve also found a place in the mountains where we would like to live and an official offer will go out today. The place sits on a hill, has a beautiful view, has 3 acres and has a 3 bedroom home. The house is exactly what we want, just don’t tell the sellers!
The next couple of months should be interesting and I’m sure I’ll be writing about my experience. I’m already working on a few posts. One about how to sell your home, another on frugal moving tips and another on buying a home.
If you would, please keep my family and I in your prayers that everything works out. The timing on all of this as it pertains to selling our house and buying another is all pretty key. I certainly don’t want to get stuck with two mortgages if I can help it! Also, if I miss posting every so often, please forgive me. I don’t plan to, but with everything going on, I can see how that might need to happen. After all there is only so much time during the day.
Here’s my favorite article picks this week from the M-Network and beyond:
- how should kids learn about finance?
- Top 12 Money Mistakes Most People Make
- Stupid Mistakes and Escaping Paycheck to Paycheck
- Can you handle the financial truth?
- Fighting Debt – From Small Steps to the Big Picture.
- Reflections on Abandoning the 9 to 5, Four Months In
- Say No To A Second Stimulus Check
- 43 Good Facts to Know
- My Square-Foot Garden Overfloweth
- Frugal Ideas to Take to the Office
- How to Become A Millionaire
- Should you fill up with regular or mid-grade gasoline?
- Gasoline – Making Everything Cost More
- The Smartest Financial Advice Ever
Photo by: Girish…
- The Friday gathering – Misc updates edition
- The Friday Gathering – On Vacation Edition
- The Friday Gathering – Looking at a house edition
- The Friday Gathering – Need some advice edition
- The Friday Gathering: Japanese Maple Edition