The Friday gathering – I'm back
Photo by: msprague
We returned on Wednesday from a wonderful week long trip in the North Carolina mountains. We didn’t visit anywhere special, but spent all of our time resting, relaxing, reading, exploring and playing with our kids. We got a little more rain than we would have liked, but our Swiss Gear tent held up great and kept us nice and dry. I can’t recommend Swiss Gear products enough!
I want to take a second and thank the bloggers who wrote some excellent guest posts for me while I was away: rocket from Rocket Finance, FrugalDad, and That One Caveman from One Caveman’s Financial Journey. Also, thanks to Lynnae from Being Frugal who kept an eye on my blog while I was away.
Of course the problem with taking vacation is having to come home. I returned to more than 150 emails in my personal inbox (includes emails from Gather Little by Little) and more than 300 emails in my work inbox! I’ve finally sorted through them all and my inboxes are once gain empty, but wow that was a lot of work! Yesterday was also very busy trying to get my arms around everything at work, checking in with my staff and finalizing a few emergencies that happened while I was out.
The vacation was worth it though, especially since I was completely disconnected from both my cell phone and the internet. That was a vacation in and of itself.
You can expect posting to be back to a normal schedule starting Monday. Now for the gathering…
I spent about 2-3 hours last night reading through my Google Reader backlog, but did make it through. Granted, I did a great deal of skimming but managed to compile a list of my favorite articles from this week. Here they are, hope you enjoy:
- 5 Tips for Sleeping in a Room with No Air Conditioning – No way I could do this, I just can’t sleep when I’m hot. I’d be sleeping right next to the A/C in the other room. Great tips though.
- Save Money, Reduce Waste: Stop Buying And Start Borrowing.
- Signed Up For Quicken Online – While not a big fan of Quicken, I might have to give this a try. I’m a sucker for shiny new software…
- We’re Buying a House! – Whoo Hoo, Lynnae’s buying a house! I am so happy for them! Seems like they got a great deal too.
- Credit Perspectives: Credit Cards Are Evil – Actually, not sure if the cards themselves are evil, but the companies are. As always, good stuff from the Caveman.
- 10 Commitments You Should Make for Your Own Financial Success – In my opinion, Ron is the king of list posts and this one just further confirms it.
- Lowering Mortgage Rate with Hard Work – Jim shares a great real world example of how a little hard word and effort can really save you some money.
- Shop online more securely – More shiny software…
- Ten Tactics for Improving Your Luck – I don’t believe in luck, but I really like the tips Trent shares in this post.
- The Correct Way to Pay Off Personal Debt: The Debt Avalanche – I’m not really sure how many more snow analogies there are, but this is a good one and a great way to pay off your debt.
- Becoming Debt Free: Identifying the Why
- The Friday Gathering – On Vacation Edition
- The Friday Gathering – I received my economic stimulus money!
- The Friday Gathering for 11/30/2007
- The Friday Gathering for 2/1/2008
- The Friday Gathering – Hey! They blocked my blog!