The friday gathering for 5/2/2008
Photo by: joiseyshowaa
This week I learned about the power of Google and how much traffic they can send to a blog. Over the past few weeks, people around the internet have been using Google to search for terms related to the in economic stimulus rebate. Fortunately, I’ve written a few articles on the subject: one discussing when the rebate checks will be send out, another clarifying that the stimulus rebate isn’t a loan as some people stated, and one talking about what I plan to do with ours.
My articles must have faired well in the complex site ranking algorithms Google uses and as a result I’ve received an enormous (ok, enormous for me) amount of traffic from Google over the past 2 weeks. More than 3 times what I normally receive. I have enjoyed the new surge of visitors very much and hope they become regular readers and maybe even subscribers! A few other bloggers I communicate with on a regular basis have also seen increases in traffic due to the economic stimulus articles they have written as well.
Another interesting traffic phenomenon I’ve noticed is that StumbleUpon, my favorite social networking site doesn’t seem to like me anymore. I can’t really figure it out. When I first started using StumbleUpon, I received enormous waves of traffic from popular articles. Now, I’m lucky to receive 100 visits, even from articles that receive lots of thumbs-up votes. I do frequent the same blogs and often give them thumbs up, so I wonder if StumbleUpon has detected a pattern and wants me to visit sites outside of those? If anybody has any insight, I’d love to hear your perspective. I really enjoy participating in the StumbleUpon community.
A Personal Favor
I’d like to ask a favor. My Mom called me the other night and informed me that she has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Needless to say I was stunned and pretty upset. The doctor is very optimistic about it though, which is wonderful news, but it’s still cancer, and cancer scares me. Especially after I watched a friend and co-worked die from brain cancer less than a year ago. Please keep my mother in your prayers and thoughts. I believe in the power of prayer and the difference it can make.
Also, please continue to pray for Pete’s wife who is still in the hospital with a severe blood clot. Pete says she’s definitely on the upside, but will most likely be in the hospital for the next few days. For those that may not know him, Pete blogs at Bible Money Matters. He’s also looking for guest articles since he doesn’t have much time to write due to working and being at the hospital. If you’re interested in writing one or have one already, please contact him (his email is in the sidebar of his main blog page).
A few announcements
- I’ve updated my blogroll again. I removed a few blogs and added a few new ones that I’ve really enjoyed reading over the past few weeks. Remember, my blogroll is a list of blogs I read daily. I don’t do link exchanges or add blogs by request. If it’s on my list, I read it daily.
- Lynnae from Being Frugal.net recently wrote a review of SmartyPig, one of my new favorite online financial sites. Lynnae is giving away two $25.00 SmartyPig gift cards. Entering the contest is easy too!
- Pinyo from Moolanomy also has a contest going on. To enter you need to share your best wedding tip or story. The winner will receive a $50 Amazon giftcard or $50 cash.
- PT from PTMoney is celebrating his 1 year anniversary and to celebrate, he’s giving away a $50 Amazon gift card. Head over and enter the contest, I did!
- Single Guy Money – Remembering How Lucky I Am
- Money Saving Mom – Less is More: Part 1 and Less is More: Part 2
- Plonkee Money – so you’d like to play music
- Oh My Aching Debts – Starting a New Business: My Son Actually Listened!
- Mrs. Micah – Getting out of debt and world hunger…
- Credit Withdrawal – Will the Economic Stimulus Package Help You Survive the Recession?
- Being Frugal – Tightwad Tuesday: 10 Tips to a Wildly Successful Garage Sale
- Green Panda Treehouse – Lending Money Can Make You Lose Friends and Family
- Cash, Money, Life – Save Money with Refurbished Electronics
- One Caveman’s Financial Journey – With Changes Come Sacrifices
- Moolanomy – The Cost of Road Rage and Aggressive Driving
- Clever Dude – 50 Ways to Save Money by Not Wasting
- I’ve Paid For This Twice Already… – Why Debt Stinks: Life Doesn’t Just Stop So You Can Get Out
- Consumerism Commentary – Your Job as Your Identity? Not For Me, Thanks
- My Two Dollars – Weathering The Storm Of The Coming Recession.
- Million Dollar Journey – Financial Infidelity – The Leading Cause of Divorce?
- The Dough Roller – 25 Ways to Save Money on Gas
- The Friday Gathering for 2/29/2008
- The Friday Gathering for 3/14/2008
- The Friday Gathering for 1/25/2008
- The Friday Gathering For 4/18/2008
- The Friday Gathering for 2/1/2008