Retailers want your economic stimulus money
Over the past couple weeks I’ve seen TV commercials, print ads, signs and fliers from retail outlets offering special deals for those using their IRS economic stimulus rebate checks. Seems the retailers are aggressively fighting for your money and that’s to your advantage.
Since it would seem many of you are starting to get your checks, or will be soon I thought I would share just a few or the larger “deals” or incentives being offered by various retailers:
- Sears is offering a 10% additional gift card program. Don’t forget, Sears gift cards are good at K-Mart and Lands End as well.
- Staples has an economic stimulus center with discounts, giveaways, and more.
- Fry’s Food stores is offering a 10% extra deal when you purchase gift cards
- Kroger foods is also offering a 10% extra deal when you purchase gift cards.
- Ace hardware is running promotions offering 20% off on selected merchandise
- Radio Shack is offering a 10% discount of purchases of $50.00 or more – Read the fine print on this one though. Seems you aren’t required to use your full check and the remaining balance is placed on a Visa debit card but there are fees for using the debit card!
- Wal-Mart isn’t offering any deals, but will cash your stimulus check and waive the normal $3.00 check cashing fee (nice of them huh?)
- I read that Food Lion grocery stores are also offering a 10% gift card deal, but I was not able to confirm that.
- Old Navy is offering $10 off for a $50.00 purchase, and $15 dollars off for a $75.00 purchase.
- Circuit City is offering special prices
These are the main deals that have been currently announced, but keep your eyes and ears open as new deals are coming out daily! I also recommend that instead, you should put your stimulus rebate towards paying off your debt or buffering up your savings instead, but if you are going to spend it, looking for opportunities like the one above that will provide even more bang for your buck.
Have a deal I’ve missed or just learned of a new one? Add a comment below and let’s make this article a growing list of deals and savings! Add a comment!
* Photo by: greefus groinks
- The Friday Gathering – I received my economic stimulus money!
- Is the economic stimulus package a loan?
- When will I get my economic stimulus rebate check?
- How should I spend my economic stimulus rebate?
- Didn't receive your economic stimulus check?