The Friday Gathering for 1/4/2008
Snow on the Appalachian Trail, photo by: Calweb
This is the first Friday Gathering of the new year and it was a great week for reading blogs. Everyone was sharing information on how they did meeting their 2007 goals and sharing our goals for 2008. The M-Network did a group writing project that involved 12 different personal finance bloggers where we all shared information about our 2007 net worths.
A few announcements:
- To add a little fun and interest to the site, I’ve added a poll over in the right-hand sidebar. The current poll asks how do you pronounce my blogging name “glblguy” (yes, believe it, glblguy isn’t my real name). This topic came up due to a conversation my M-Network buddies had about the different ways they pronounce it.
- The Credit Card Reduction Rally started by Watch My Money Maker starts on Monday. If you have credit cards with outstanding balances, I encourage you to participate. I’ll be calling Chase again all next week!
- I added a blogroll page this week. This is something I haven’t had before and was hesitant to add, but I wanted to share all of the great blogs I read on a daily basis!
- My Dollar Plan and DebtFree-Revolution have started a “credit card” duel which officially starts today. First two articles are already up: Dirty Credit Card Company Tricks and The Great Credit Card Debate Off to an Early Start!. If you would like to enter the fray, just write an article linking to their articles or head over to their blogs and post a comment! I’ll be jumping in next week.
I participated in two carnivals this week, Festival of Frugality #106 – Happy New Year Edition where my article Money Saving Monday Tip#20 – Keep the change was editor’s pick and Carnival of Financial Goals #2 – A Walk With Sam where my article 10 Goals for 2008 was included. Thanks to both Pinyo of Moolanomy and Lynnae of Being Frugal for hosting. Great job to both!
If you are a blogger, participating in blog carnivals is a great source of traffic and recognition. If you are a reader, they are a great source for some wonderful articles!
- Being Frugal – Credit Card Companies Want to Eat You Alive! – They really do…ok, but it really feels like it!
- Cash Money Life – Your Greatest Asset is The Ability to Create Income
- The Dough Roller – A Helpful 401(k) & IRA Rollover Chart from the IRS
- I’ve Paid For This Twice Already – Complete Budgeting Failure – Yep, been there done that.
- Moolanomy – Is Baby Insurance a Good Buy? – I agree Pinyo!
- My Two Dollars – Tips On How To Avoid Internet And Financial Scams.
- Plonkee Money – any frugal home decorating suggestions? Happy Birthday Plonkee!
- Single Guy Money – Bought a NEW Car Yesterday
- The Simple Dollar – How Much Frugality Is Too Much Frugality?
- Sense to Save – Breaking down and buying cable
- Millionaire Mommy Next Door – She Aspires To Be A Millionaire – And So Can You
- Brip Blap – how to talk to your teenager about personal finance
- Credit Withdrawal – Emergency Measures – What to Do When There’s No Money
- My Dollar Plan – Financial Calculators
- Millionaire Money Habits – Free Copy of The Rules of Money
- Green Panda Treehouse – What’s the Difference Between Loaded and No Load Funds?
- Get Rich Slowly – A Brief Overview of the Alternative Minimum Tax
- Wise Bread – How to buy all that stuff the police seize. And it’s cheap.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!